Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Day 4 - San Antonio,TX - Austin,TX

Waking up in San Antonio 1 mile from my first stop was a welcome surprise from the day before.  Javelina Harley was stop #1 for the day and a great start to the day it was.  Javelina is a smaller shop with a very personal feel.  I had about a 20 minute conversation with Johnny and David.  They were as interested in my products as I was in their shop.  And I started, what will now become a tradition, taking pictures with the parts guys.  This dealership is family owned and  known as one of the most customer friendly in the country and I found that out first hand.  This shop is a definite stop if you are riding through the San Antonio area. Javelina is off the I-10 west - exit 246.

For all you Metric lovers don't think I forgot about you.  The birth of "Ubermoto"  our new line of products is for you.  My next stop was Alamo Powersports.  Sid Rodriguez is the parts manager.  They have BMW, Triumph and a foreign auto division as well.  And KC International Motorsports to follow had a dizzying supply of Ducati, Moto Guzzi and MV Agusta on hand in a brand new modern facility. Frans de Weers is a very 'Cool Kat'.  Sorry no photos guys, but we'll get'em next time.

Iron Horse of San Antonio was a bit hard to find due to road construction, but Willie is the man in the back shining up bikes.  This shop had a nice supply of choppers, so if that's your thing or if you need some parts and your in the area go say, "what up" to Chuck, the parts manager.

Caliente Harley was "HOT".  Also in San Antonio, architecturally the coolest shop I have seen. Raul Rodriquez is the parts manager and is a super nice guy.  The shop was busy as could be and as one of the parts guys put it, "there is no recession at Harley-Davidson".  From what I have seen on this trip that is definitely the truth.

Alamo Cycle Plex had quite the supply of metrics and gear.  Tom Poplawsky was a bit busy but still found some time to talk.  Thanks Tom I know how it goes when you need to hit a deadline.

Joe Harrison Motorsports Parts Manager, Kevin Horton was happy to talk for a while and take some samples to test out.  Some of the friendliest staff I have come across.

Alamo City Harley-Davidson had one of the most unique shops that I have come across...salt water fish tank and all.  Frank Booker is the parts manager and a very personable guy.  You can tell by the line of people at the parts counter, with big smiles that these guys take care of their customers.  I was asked 10 times if I had been helped...you can tell these guys take pride in their work.  They also had a great collection of classic bikes upstairs.  This Dealership is a MUST SEE!

Gruene Harley Davdison was a bit off the beaten path..only 6 miles off the freeway, which by todays standards is far for a Harley Dealership.  However, because of the location there is a mystique to this shop.  There were at least 45 bikes out front and many of the riders were just hanging around.  Most Harley shops are hangouts, but this felt different.  I can' t really explain so you'll just need to make a trip out here and see for yourself.  Doug Crawford of the parts dept and I had a nice conversation and he expressed his excitement to being on the internet.  Doug...here are your 5 minutes of fame..Enjoy!

Bout' to pass out...until next time...signing off.

 

No comments: